SHOTOKAN KARATEDO BUDO RYU FEDERATION
Dan Grading Rules & Requirements
GUIDANCE & PROCEDURES FOR DAN GRADING CANDIDATES
Eligibility minimum, ages and times, between Dan Gradings:
Shodan (1st Dan) (Min Age Jnr 12, Snr 16)
Nidan (2nd Dan) 2 Years (Min. Age 18+)
Sandan (3rd Dan) 3 Years (Min. Age 22+)
Yondan (4th Dan) 4 Years (Min. Age 25+)
Godan (5th Dan) 5 Years (Min. Age 30+)
1) It is proper and courteous to submit a letter requesting approval to attempt any Dan Grading Examination to the Senior
Instructor/Grading Examiner, formally introducing yourself and requesting the associations permission to grade. You should
apply only on the recommendation of your Dojosí senior instructor
2) Permission to grade is not automatic and must not be taken for granted . Confirmation of permission to grade will be conveyed
to you on receipt of an application proforma.
3) You MUST be in possesion of a CURRENT association Licence to be permited to participate in any grading examination. This
licence must be submitted along with the appropriately completed application and pro-rata fee, at least one month prior to the
agreed examination date.
4) Prospective candidate intending to attempt Yondan (4th Dan) or above, will be required to submit a formal thesis on any agreed
aspect of karate along with their application. Advice on this can be obtained from a Senior Instructor.
5) Once Permission has been obtaiined and a suitable course and venue arranged, it is advisable to arrive early, wear a clean
white karategi and allow yourself time to prepare both physically and mentally for your best performance.
6) The Examiners decisions are absolute, at that time, and must be accepted WITHOUT QUESTION.
7) The Examiner may (or may not) choose to make comments or observations for the future advice of the candidates (pass or fail)
as is their prerogative.
8) Candidates failing the examination must wait a further period of time as indicated by the Grading Examiner, before re-sitting
Should you, or your group, wish further information about us or affiliating to the association,
please contact email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone ++ 44 (0)7885 437463.
Sensei Anne Palmer (email@example.com) or telephone ++ 44 (0)7885 437463